Why in News?
Recently, the Table tennis legend Achanta Sharath Kamal was bestowed with the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award for his outstanding performance in the Commonwealth Games, 2022 by the President as part of the National Sports and Adventure Awards 2022.
Other awards given out include the Dronacharya Award, Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement in Sports and Games, the Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar, the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad trophy as well as the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award.
What are the Key Facts about the Awards?
Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award:
- Formerly known as the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, it is the highest sporting award given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- It carries a cash prize of Rs 25 lakh, a medal and a scroll of honour.
- The Khel Ratna award was instituted in 1991-1992 and the first recipient was Chess legend Viswanathan Anand.
- It was instituted in 1961 by the Government of India to recognise outstanding achievement in national sports events.
- It is given for good performance over a period of previous four years and showing qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh, a bronze statue of Arjuna and a scroll of honour.
- It was instituted in 1985 by the Government of India to recognise excellence in sports coaching.
- It is given to coaches for doing outstanding and meritorious work on a consistent basis and enabling sportspersons to excel in international events.
- It carries a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh, a bronze statue of Dronacharya and a scroll of honour.
Dhyan Chand Award:
- It was instituted in the year 2002 and comprises a Dhyan Chand statuette, a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh, a certificate and a ceremonial dress.
- It is given to honour sportspersons who have contributed to sports by their performance and continue to contribute to promotion of sports events after their retirement.
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy:
- It was instituted in the year 1956-1957.
- It is for university-level sports performances.
- It is given to a university for "top performance in the inter-university tournaments" over the period of the last one year.
Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar:
It was instituted in the year 2009.
It is given to corporate entities (both in private and public sector), sports control boards, NGOs including sports bodies at the State and National level who have played a visible role in the area of sports promotion and development.
Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awards:
The awards are given every year to recognize the achievements of persons in the fields of adventure, to encourage young people to develop the spirit of endurance, risk–taking, cooperative teamwork and quick, ready and effective reflexes in challenging situations and to provide incentive to the young people for getting exposed to the adventure activities.